5 Good Reasons Why You’re Never Too Old For Modelling Clay
1. Energy and stress release
Your body stores memories and when you work with modelling clay your brain picks up the rhythmic working of your hands and remembers earlier experiences of childhood when you squished play-dough, mud, or bread dough to release energy and feel calmer. When you work with modelling clay as an adult, your body produces the same self-soothing hormones to help you feel more relaxed.
2. Give your hands a break from devices and computers
We live in a world where devices and computers are extensions of us. Because of this, it’s important to prevent the onset of RSI and ease our hard-working hand muscles by giving them a break from the repetitive, quick paced typing and scrolling we do daily. Instead, why not try using your hand muscles in a gentler, softer, more nourishing way through using modelling clay?
3. Stretch your mind by accessing your imagination and playfulness
Remember when you used to be able to dream up the most amazing ideas and make-believe creatures? That capacity for playfulness and imagination still lives inside of you, it just needs a little stretching out sometimes. The beauty of modelling clay is that it can do basically whatever you want it to do and the colour combinations are endless. Working your brain in a creative, playful way helps you to see and imagine things differently, which inspires productivity.
4. An invitation to be in the ‘flow’ and forget about the day for a moment
Did you know that being in ‘flow’ basically means doing an activity that is equally as challenging as it is enjoyable? This sounds a lot like working with modelling clay to me! Giving yourself some space to create something mindfully gives your brain some respite from the to-do list, unanswered emails, and demands of your job. Take a breath and just be.
5. Working your creative problem-solving capacities
Having the ability to think about things a little abstractly and know how to creatively approach a problem is a total gift. Modelling clay allows you to enhance your creative problem-solving abilities inherently because of its flexible, pliable nature. Perhaps you want to set a daily theme for yourself and create something with the clay that symbolises that. Challenging yourself in this lateral way has all sorts of positive benefits for your mind.
Feeling inspired yet?
At Flora we stock ökoNORM’s range of modelling clay which is non-toxic and deliciously soft. The clay contains natural chalk, natural pigments and mineral waxes, so you can feel good about using them on your skin and they won’t dry out as play-dough does.
Want to try something a little bit different? Stockmar has a range of modelling beeswax that is vibrant, shiny, tactile, and smells like honey. Use the warmth of your hands to soften the wax and then like modelling clay, form it into whatever shape your heart desires. Or, just enjoy rolling it in your hands and enjoying the sensation.
Or, how about giving our homemade eco-modelling clay recipe a go.
- Over a double boiler, melt 2 teaspoons of lanolin, 1 cup of beeswax, and 4 teaspoons of coconut oil.
- Pour into small moulds (like small silicone muffin trays, or small metal muffin trays lined with circles of non-stick paper).
- Add 1 teaspoon of natural pigment and 5 drops of essential oils to each mould.
- Mix the pigments and oils through with a teaspoon and set aside for approximately 30 minutes to fully set.
- Once set, pop the clay out and work with hands to evenly disperse pigments (as they may have settled to the bottom) and get rid of any lumps.
- Roll into walnut sized balls and enjoy playing!